Phone: 720-259-9528
Toll Free: 888-835-6339

Wheat Ridge Family Law Blog

Wheat Ridge Divorce Attorney | Avoiding Future Issues with Your Dissolution of Marriage in Jefferson County

courtroom-898931_640.jpgHiring a Wheat Ridge or Jefferson County divorce attorney to handle your Colorado dissolution of marriage is not a requirement of the law, but common sense. Those who choose to handle their divorce themselves end up spending more money and time trying to resolve issues later down the line. An experienced Wheat Ridge and Arvada divorce lawyer can walk you through the process, making sure that the separation or dissolution agreement is solid and that issues won't come up in the future. The last thing you want is to move on with your life, and have to keep revisiting the past due to faulty or questionable terms in your divorce agreement.

Wheat Ridge Divorce and Child Custody Lawyer | Settle My Jefferson County Family Law Case or Go to Trial?

club-2492011_640.jpgFamily law cases dealing with divorce or child custody in Wheat Ridge and Jefferson County are always emotional and sometimes contentious. There are major decisions that need to be made - decisions that will affect you and your children's lives. Often, clients feel that they have an extremely strong case of getting their desired outcome on a contested dissolution of marriage issue or parenting plan point. However, handing over the decision to a Jefferson County judge is always a gamble. You have to remember that a divorce court judge will look at both parties' arguments, evidence and testimony, and the law before making a decision. You may think the outcome is certain, but there is always a chance the judge will rule differently.

False Allegations in a Wheat Ridge Child Custody or Divorce Case

pointing-1991215_640.jpgDuring a Wheat Ridge or Jefferson County divorce or child custody case, the most harmful and devastating allegations that can be brought up are those of abuse. Often, lies are told about domestic violence or child abuse in order for one party to get the parenting plan and child custody they want. These allegations are usually made evident after an emergency motion is filed to restrict parenting time or after a restraining order is filed. Now, don't get me wrong - I know and have seen the effects that true abuse can have on a person. I fully believe that there should be protections in place to keep both adults and children safe. But, I have also seen the other side where the allegations made are untruthful and the effects it can have on the accused as well as on the children. The hard part is proving these allegations to be false.

Wheat Ridge Divorce and Financial Disclosures Attorney | What is Included in a Financial Disclosure Required in a Marriage Dissolution?

calculator-385506_640.jpgOne of the most important steps in a Wheat Ridge and Jefferson County divorce is the financial disclosures required from both parties. While it may seem tedious to have to disclose every financial aspect of financial your life, the financial disclosures are extremely important. You want to make sure you have an expert Wheat Ridge divorce lawyer to not only walk you through every step of the process, but also to make sure that your ex is providing all the correct information as well. It's a complicated part of the divorce proceedings, so it is best to have someone who knows what they are doing lead you through it.

Wheat Ridge Parenting Time and Child Custody Lawyer | Do Both My Kids Have to be on the Same Parenting Plan Schedule?

day-planner-828611_640.jpgOften in Wheat Ridge divorce and child custody cases, there are multiple children involved. When parenting time and schedules are decided, it may feel like you have no choice but to agree to a one size fits all schedule for all your children. This is absolutely not the case. Your parenting time schedules can vary depending on the specific needs of each child. While it is always preferable to keep the sibling together as much as possible, your children do not need to be treated as a single entity when putting together a parenting plan.

Temporary Orders vs. Final Orders in a Wheat Ridge Divorce

gavel-568417_640.jpgThere are generally three stages to any Wheat Ridge and Jefferson County divorce process: Initial Status Conference, Temporary Orders Hearing, and Final Orders Hearing. This blog's focus is on the difference between the temporary orders hearing and the permanent orders hearing, both set in front of a Jefferson County District Court judge.

Wheat Ridge Child Custody | Relocating Outside Jefferson County

girl-1163407_640.jpgThrough the Jefferson County divorce process, child custody and parenting time are decided and enforceable by a judge's order. But, sometimes, unexpected situations arise. This can definitely be the case when it comes to a move. Even though your parenting time is laid out in the child custody agreement, a change in location to a new state will need to be addressed in Jefferson County District Court. This is known as a child custody relocation.

Wheat Ridge Child Support Lawyer: How Child Support is Calculated

wallet-2383496_640.jpgIf you and your spouse are getting a divorce in Wheat Ridge and have children together, then child support will likely be a major part of your divorce agreement. The amount of child support a Jefferson County judge requires you to pay, may not remain the same as your kids grow older. Likely, you will face several trips to family court as your children grow up and expenses related to raising them changes. While it may be tempting to work out an informal agreement with your former spouse, especially if the divorce is amicable, this is not something we recommend. It is better to have a court ordered agreement, which is enforced by the court, because then the court can hold all parties accountable.

Modify or Change a Divorce Agreement in Jefferson County

wedding-rings-1379793_640.jpgOften when people are getting a divorce in Wheat Ridge, it is their first time going through the process. Just like with anything new, there is a learning curve to marriage dissolutions as well. There will be new legal terms you never heard before, documents you have to fill out just right, and decisions to be made that can affect the rest of your life. If you have gone through a divorce previously, the process will be easier because you will know what to expect. If you haven't, you may find that after a while, you will want to change or modify your divorce decree or agreement. This is actually a very common occurrence in Jefferson County courts. Sometimes, couples will go back in front of the judge 4 or 5 times to get post-decree amendments, changing terms of the divorce related to parenting time, child support, or alimony.

Practice Areas

Pearman Law Firm, P.C.

Pearman Law Firm, P.C.
4195 Wadsworth Boulevard
Wheat Ridge, CO 80033

Toll Free: 888-835-6339
Phone: 720-259-9528
Fax: 303-991-7601
Map & Directions

Free Initial Phone Consultations

CTA phone
Phone: 720-259-9528
Toll Free: 888-835-6339