In Wheat Ridge Colorado, you can absolutely represent yourself in divorce proceedings. However, that doesn’t mean it’s a smart choice. Just because you can get the job done, doesn’t necessarily mean you should. When your children, home and assets are at stake, it is worth the investment to hire an experienced domestic relations attorney. Imagine going head to head against a divorce lawyer on the other side, who is trying to take away your kids, your house and your bank accounts. And that lawyer knows the court rules and rules of evidence. More about Family Law Court.
Jefferson County Divorce Attorney: Factors to Consider Regarding Divorce Cases
We all wish that when a marriage dissolves in Jefferson County, the divorce proceedings would be easy and amicable. But, that is just not always the case. Here are some factors to consider before deciding whether or not to handle your own divorce case:
· Contested vs. Uncontested Divorce – if you are facing a contested divorce in Westminster or Wheat Ridge, this can make things much more complicated. When a divorce is contested, it means the parties have not come to an agreement and evidence and testimony is a necessary piece to present to the judge.
· Marital Estate – if your marital estate is small and simple, then dividing assets may not be an issue. However, if your debts and assets overlap and are not easily divided, this can cause major issues. This is particularly true if one of the parties had assets before the marriage.
· Children – if you and your spouse have children together in Mountain View or Arvada, things can be extremely complicated. Issues surrounding children and custody agreements are complex and tend to be the biggest point of contention in a divorce.
· Income – if you and your spouse bring in close to the same income, then maintenance may not be an issue. In cases where a spouse is claiming inability to work or requesting spousal maintenance (also known as alimony), it is important to have an advocate on your side who knows Colorado law.
· Location – if you live in Golden or Lakewood, Colorado, then there are no special requirements to filing your divorce in Colorado. But, if you reside outside of the state (perhaps you moved after you and your spouse separated), then there are extra steps that may need to be taken. An experienced Wheat Ridge Divorce Attorney from the Pearman Law Firm can make sure you have all the correct paperwork filed so all your bases are covered.
If you are in the process of or preparing for a divorce in Wheat Ridge, Arvada, or Westminster, contact the best family law attorneys from the Pearman Law Firm for a free initial phone consultation at 720-259-9528 or toll free at today. We can protect your family.