Yes, Pearman Law Firm is open! We have a full staff working remotely (and at the office as necessary) to ensure your legal needs are well taken care of during these difficult times. We offer telephone consultations and virtual meetings, and can provide for all your legal representation remotely when necessary and possible. We are doing Last Wills and Estate Planning as well.
If you need legal help, do not hesitate to call us at 303-991-7600 or contact us using our online contact form.

Wheat Ridge Family Law Attorney | Voluntary vs. Involuntary Relinquishment of Parental Rights

On Behalf of | Aug 22, 2017 | Family Law |

pexels-photo-236164 (1).jpeg

We often get questions regarding relinquishment of parental rights in Wheat Ridge and Jefferson County. Questions like, “What if I am being asked to relinquish my parental rights?” or “How do I ask my child’s biological parent to relinquish their parental rights?” Often relating to an adoption, relinquishing parental rights can be done in two ways: voluntarily or involuntarily. Let’s take a closer look at these two types of parental right relinquishments.

Jefferson County Voluntary Relinquishment of Parental Rights

For a voluntary relinquishment of parental rights in Jefferson County, a biological parent willingly gives up their right to the child. These types of relinquishments often occur with adoptions. When expecting parents know they wants to place their child for adoption, the process often begins before the baby is born. The biological parents will sign the relinquishment of parental rights in order to give the parental rights to the adoptive parents. This is a necessary step before any formal adoption can proceed. The relinquishment can be signed to an adoption agency if no parents have been chosen for the child or they can be signed to the new adoptive parents.

Involuntary Relinquishment of Parental Rights in Arvada and Littleton

Involuntary relinquishment of parental rights is a much more complicated procedure in Arvada and Littleton. We generally see these types of cases where a step-parent wants to legally adopt their step-children, but the biological parent objects. One biological parent can petition the Jefferson County Court for relinquishment even if the other biological parent objects, but it is an uphill climb. Judges are not willing to terminate someone’s parental rights without good cause. Often evidence of negligence, such as not paying child support or not having contact with the children for over a year can be presented to the family law courts in support relinquishing one parent’s parental rights.

Whether you’re parental rights are being threatened, you are looking to voluntarily relinquish your parental rights, or you want to petition the court for an involuntary relinquishment of parental rights, contact the best family law attorneys from the Pearman Law Firm at 720-259-9528 or 888-835-6339 today.

Image Source: Pexels-Pixabay

FindLaw Network