Comprehensive & Compassionate Legal Representation

Experienced lawyers providing services in many types of cases that can affect Colorado families.

Wheat Ridge Divorce and Child Support Attorney | Your Child’s College Education and Expenses: Who Pays?

On Behalf of | Dec 8, 2017 | child support |


In Wheat Ridge, Jefferson County, and across Colorado, child support payments are mandatory after a divorce where children are involved. However, we often get questions about financial responsibilities when the child is no longer a child and turns 19. Current child support law requires that child support payments be made until the child is 19 years old. But, just because someone turns 19, doesn’t mean that the financial responsibilities are over. Often, after graduating high school, a child chooses to attend college for a higher education. But, who is responsible for paying for this education if child support is no longer required? Let’s see what the Colorado law says.

Jefferson County Child Support Orders Entered After July 1, 1997

According to the Child Support Guidelines, found under C.R.S. 14-10-115, if a child support order was entered after July 1, 1997, then the Jefferson County Court cannot require a person to contribute to or pay for their child’s college education and related expenses. Require is the key term. Just because a court cannot make you do it, doesn’t mean you cannot make provisions in your divorce and child custody agreement to plan for this expense. If you and your former spouse can come to an agreement, the judge can enter it as an order. This agreement can be created by your Arvada family law attorney and should be as detailed as possible. It should address elements like:

  • Payment due dates – Who will be making which payments? When should the payments be made by?
  • Books and fees – Will you cover your child’s expenses related to books and fees?
  • Room and board – Will you cover your child’s living expenses? What about if they move off campus?
  • Tuition limitations – How much are you willing to spend? How much is too much?
  • Any conditions for the child – Will your child need to maintain a certain GPA? Will he/she need to take a certain amount of credit hours per semester?

Arvada Child Support and Stipulated Agreements: Planning Ahead is Key

When dealing with a divorce, it may be hard to plan for the future when you are so consumed with the present. This is where an experienced family law attorney can be so helpful. We will help you plan for the future and get right type of agreements in place to make sure you and your child are protected.

If you are going through a divorce and want to make sure your child’s future is protected, contact the best divorce attorneys from the Pearman Law Firm at 720-259-9528 for a initial phone consultation.

Image Source: Pixabay-Olichel