Comprehensive & Compassionate Legal Representation

Experienced lawyers providing services in many types of cases that can affect Colorado families.

Golden Divorce Lawyer | What If My Ex Won’t Sign Divorce Papers?

On Behalf of | Mar 2, 2018 | Divorce |


When you are ready to file for divorce in Golden, Wheat Ridge, or Jefferson County, both parties will have to sign the initial divorce petition. But, what happens when one party won’t sign? Let’s take a look at the different steps involved in a divorce and what happens when your ex doesn’t want to sign.

Divorce Petition: Process and Signatures Required

You do not need both parties involved in a Mountainview or Lakewood divorce on board to get the process started. You can take the initiative and file the initial dissolution of marriage petition. After the divorce petition has been filed, your ex will have to be served with the papers. Once a copy has been served (usually via a process server), the other party has 21 days to file a response. This response should address any problems your ex has with the items discussed in the initial divorce petition. If the other party does not file a response within the 21 day timeframe, they will lose their opportunity to contest any issues with the petition. The judge assumes no response means no issue and the divorce is uncontested and will grant the petition in its original form, as long as all the requests are reasonable.

Divorce Decree: When Does a Divorce Decree Get Signed?

Let’s say your ex responded to the divorce petition and the two of you have been working through the contested issues. Working out an agreement outside of court is considered an uncontested divorce. In this type of divorce, the two parties come to an agreement about all the terms, sign the decree, and file it with the Jefferson County Court. If, during the process, your ex refuses to sign the decree, you may need to continue negotiations. In these cases, it may be a good idea to get a mediator involved. If you can’t come to an agreement, then you may have to take it to the judge – changing your divorce to a contested one. The judge will make the final decisions and court orders will be entered, with no need for anyone’s signature except the judge’s.

If you are hitting roadblocks with your divorce, you do have options. Call the expert family law attorneys from the Pearman Law Firm at 720-259-9528 for a initial phone consultation.

Image Source: Pixabay-StockSnap