Yes, Pearman Law Firm is open! We have a full staff working remotely (and at the office as necessary) to ensure your legal needs are well taken care of during these difficult times. We offer telephone consultations and virtual meetings, and can provide for all your legal representation remotely when necessary and possible. We are doing Last Wills and Estate Planning as well.
If you need legal help, do not hesitate to call us at 303-991-7600 or contact us using our online contact form.

Wheat Ridge Alimony / Spousal Maintenance Attorney | I Lost My Job: Do I Still Have to Pay Alimony?

On Behalf of | Mar 6, 2018 | Alimony and Spousal Maintenance |


When the Jefferson County family law court orders one party to pay alimony or spousal maintenance payments during a divorce, that is not an order that can just be ignored. Through a Wheat Ridge or Arvada divorce, the court recognizes the need for the separating parties to maintain their current standard of living. Especially when one party has a significantly lower income or is a stay at home parent. The court will order for maintenance payments to be made for a period of time in order to help the spouse with the lower income level maintain their lifestyle while trying to become financially independent. The amount of maintenance or alimony that is required to be paid is based on a calculation using current income levels. So, what happens if the party required to pay alimony loses their job?

Unemployment and Spousal Maintenance: I Can’t Make My Arvada Alimony Payments

When the Jefferson County Court enters an order, like for a party to make alimony payments, it is expected that the order will be followed. Just because your situation changes, you will still have to continue making alimony payments as ordered by the court. You cannot stop making payments or making smaller payments because you have lost your job. But, all hope is not lost. If you have involuntarily lost your job, you can request that the court modify the maintenance order.

Spousal Maintenance and Alimony Modification in Mountainview and Golden

Luckily, if you have fallen on some hard times financially, you can request a modification of your maintenance order. Orders related to alimony are not modified easily, though. You must show that there is a serious change to your financial situation and continuing to make the payments at their current amount is unfair. If the court agrees, they can modify your maintenance. This modification can come in the form of lower alimony payments or removing the maintenance requirement all together.

If your situation has changed dramatically and you need a modification to your maintenance order, contact the best family law attorneys from the Pearman Law Firm at 720-259- 9528 or 888-835-6339 to schedule your free consultation.

Image Source: Pixabay-nattanan23
FindLaw Network