Yes, Pearman Law Firm is open! We have a full staff working remotely (and at the office as necessary) to ensure your legal needs are well taken care of during these difficult times. We offer telephone consultations and virtual meetings, and can provide for all your legal representation remotely when necessary and possible. We are doing Last Wills and Estate Planning as well.
If you need legal help, do not hesitate to call us at 303-991-7600 or contact us using our online contact form.

When does a child support case close?

On Behalf of | Nov 7, 2019 | child support |

Shortly after your divorce in Colorado, the only concern you may have about child support is ensuring you pay it on time or receive it on time. As the years go by, though, your situation may change and your children will get older. Eventually, you will begin thinking about closing your child support case. There are a few reasons why the child support office might close your case.

The Office of Economic Security notes that the child support office will typically send you a notice before closing your child support case. The notice will come 60 days before the case closes and include information about why the office is closing the case. Also, keep in mind that the child support office may reopen a claim at any time if new information comes in or there is a new court order.

Typically, though, a case ends because the legal obligation ends. Your child support orders should say how long you will pay support, which is usually until your child turns a certain age. However, you have to be current on your payments. If you have a past due balance, you must pay that before your case closes.

The office may also close a case it cannot enforce or where it cannot find the parent who receives the payments. Your child’s other parent, who gets the support, may also ask to close the case for whatever reason.

In any situation, you should not stop paying until you have verification that the child support office has closed your case. This information is for education and is not legal advice.

FindLaw Network