Comprehensive & Compassionate Legal Representation

Experienced lawyers providing services in many types of cases that can affect Colorado families.

Modify or Change a Divorce Agreement in Jefferson County

On Behalf of | Jul 18, 2017 | Divorce |


Often when people are getting a divorce in Wheat Ridge, it is their first time going through the process. Just like with anything new, there is a learning curve to marriage dissolutions as well. There will be new legal terms you never heard before, documents you have to fill out just right, and decisions to be made that can affect the rest of your life. If you have gone through a divorce previously, the process will be easier because you will know what to expect. If you haven’t, you may find that after a while, you will want to change or modify your divorce decree or agreement. This is actually a very common occurrence in Jefferson County courts. Sometimes, couples will go back in front of the judge 4 or 5 times to get post-decree amendments, changing terms of the divorce related to parenting time, child support, or alimony.

Common Reasons to Change or Modify a Divorce Decree in Arvada: Alimony, Child Support and Parenting Time

Often, life changes prompt the need for a modification to an Arvada divorce decree. The two most common reasons parties request modifications to a divorce agreement are money and children. Perhaps as your children get older, the costs involved with raising them has increased, necessitating a change in your child support payments. Or, maybe you have to take a pay cut at work, and you want to reevaluate your alimony payment amount. The other big issue people like to address is issues with child custody. Sometimes, schedules change maybe with work or with your children’s activities and your current custody agreement is no longer workable. You can request a change in your parenting time custody agreement, which is part of the dissolution of marriage agreement.

­How Can I Get a Change or Amendment to My Divorce Agreement?

The most important issue a Jefferson County judge will expect you to address when requesting an amendment or change to your divorce agreement is that you can demonstrate a change in circumstances. If the issue involves money, new financial statements and testimony must be available. You need to show the judge that either your child expenses have changed, or your financial situation is different, and alimony payments are no longer doable. For custody issues, you must show what has changed or why keeping things the same is no longer in the best interest of your children.

If you are looking to modify a divorce decree, contact the best divorce attorneys from the Pearman Law Firm for a free initial phone consultation at 720-259-9528 today.

Image Source: Pixabay-skeeze