Comprehensive & Compassionate Legal Representation

Experienced lawyers providing services in many types of cases that can affect Colorado families.

Wheat Ridge Divorce Modification Attorneys

The parenting plan and child support agreements that worked for you at the time of your divorce may not be workable now. In Colorado, you can go back to the family court that created your divorce orders and seeks modifications in certain circumstances.

At Pearman Law Firm, P.C., our lawyers handle modifications of child support, health insurance, parenting time, child custody and in some cases, marital property division. We also handle enforcement of existing orders. We represent clients in Wheat Ridge, Lakewood, Arvada and other communities in the Denver metropolitan area.

Modification Of Child Support

There are several circumstances which may allow you to file a motion to modify child support:

  • You or the other party’s income increased or decreased significantly.
  • You lost your job.
  • Your parenting plan has changed.
  • You have an additional child to support.

It’s important to file motions to modify child support promptly, as changes generally cannot be made retroactively. Verbal agreements with your former spouse are not normally enforceable and may not change the amount of your child support obligation.

Modification Of Parenting Time

If your work schedule changes, you move to a new residence, or you or your spouse move out of state, your visitation schedule may be changed to something that works with your new situation. If you plan to move out of state, or even a long distance from the other parent, you may have to file a motion and first get court approval. Our family law attorneys can guide you through this motion to modify parenting time and motion to move out of state.

Child custody can also be changed if your child is in a situation that endangers his or her physical or emotional health. To change custody, you will have to show the court that the harm caused by a change in custody is outweighed by the harm of leaving the child in the situation.

Modification Of Marital Property Division

If your ex failed to disclose assets at the time of your divorce, your property settlement case can sometimes be reopened and modified within a limited time. If you are faced with this situation, do not wait — call one of our attorneys before it is too late, and we will walk you through the rules of reopening a property division.

Enforcement Of Parenting Time And Support

If your spouse denies you visitation rights or is not paying child support, our lawyers can help you enforce those agreements in court. We regularly prosecute and defend contempt of court cases. In some cases, you may be entitled to make up parenting time or visitation. Sometimes the parent who is in contempt of court may have to go to jail or pay your legal fees and costs.

For More Information About Modifications

To talk to our Wheat Ridge divorce modification attorneys, call 720-259-9528 for a free initial phone consultation.