Comprehensive & Compassionate Legal Representation

Experienced lawyers providing services in many types of cases that can affect Colorado families.

Wheat Ridge Parenting Plan Modification Attorney | Can I Modify a Parenting Plan without Jefferson County Court Approval?

On Behalf of | Oct 27, 2017 | Child Custody |


In Wheat Ridge and across Jefferson County a parenting plan can be modified at any time. Colorado law understands that your children change as they grow and their needs change as well. What might have worked when your children were young, may not work so well as they become adolescents and teenagers. You and your co-parent may be able to easily agree to a change, but it will have to be signed off on by the Jefferson County family court judge in order to be official. All decisions made regarding children must be deemed to be in their best interest and a judge wants to verify this before entering any modifications.

Motion to Modify / Restrict Parenting Time in Littleton

There are two types of motions that can be filed to a parenting plan agreement – Stipulation Regarding Parenting Time Modification and a Verified Motion to Modify / Restrict Parenting Time.

  • Stipulation Regarding Parenting Time Modification: This is filed when both parents agree to modifying the parenting plan. The stipulation is signed by both parties and submitted to the judge, who reviews it make sure the change is in the best interest of the child. This type of motion can be filed at any time.
  • Verified Motion to Modify / Restrict Parenting Time: This motion is filed when parents are not in agreement regarding the parenting plan change. Generally, you must wait two years since the last permanent order was entered to request a modification, unless there are extenuating circumstances, like the child’s mental or physical safety are at risk.

Whether you are filing a Stipulation or Verified Motion, it is important to have an experienced family law attorney on your side to best represent your needs.

Reasons to Modify a Parenting Plan in Arvada

There are various reasons why one might want to modify or change a parenting agreement. A few common requests in Arvada include:

  • Job loss or salary decrease necessitating child support payment reassessment
  • Changing which parent gets to make the decisions regarding health and education
  • Changing which parent gets primary custody
  • Requesting supervised visitations only with one parent

When filing a motion without the agreement of the other party, it can be an uphill battle. An expert child custody and parenting time attorney knows how to appeal to a Jefferson County judge for the best shot at your desired outcome.

If you feel you are looking to modify a parenting plan, contact Wheat Ridge’s best family law attorneys from the Pearman Law Firm at 720-259-9528 today.

Image Source: Pexels-Pixabay