Comprehensive & Compassionate Legal Representation

Experienced lawyers providing services in many types of cases that can affect Colorado families.

Child Custody And Visitation In Colorado

Allocation Of Parental Responsibilities (APR)

Preserving your relationships with your children is a priority at Pearman Law Firm, P.C.. Our lawyers represent mothers and fathers in child custody and visitation cases in Wheat Ridge, Lakewood, Arvada and other communities in the Denver metropolitan area.

Child custody and visitation are called the allocation of parental responsibilities (APR) in Colorado. Parental responsibilities include:

  • Decision-making with regard to your child’s education, medical care and religious upbringing
  • Where your child will live
  • How much parenting time (or visitation) the nonresidential parent will have

In the emotions following the break up of a relationship, many parents tell us that they wish to have sole custody of children. However, you may not get sole custody simply because you want it. Colorado courts consider the best interests of your children over the personal desires of parents. In the court’s view, absent issues such as abuse or neglect, it is the best interest for children to have a loving relationship with both parents. If there are issues such as neglect or abuse, our family law attorneys can get involved in a dramatic way, seeking emergency motions and protective orders.

It’s not unusual for parents to disagree over who should have primary residential custody and how much visitation the other parent should have. Our goal in a child custody case is to help you negotiate a parenting plan that works for your family. However, if a negotiated settlement is not possible, we are prepared to represent your interests and the best interests of your children in court.

Child Custody And Visitation For Unmarried Parents

If an unmarried couple has a child or children, but later the couple breaks up, both parents may have a right to court-ordered visitation and the noncustodial parent would normally have a right to child support. If the parents do not agree on who the father is, paternity must first be established. If you are in this situation, you should schedule an appointment with one of our experienced attorneys to decide on whether to file a paternity case or a custody case. Which one you choose may have significantly different consequences to you.

Contact Our Wheat Ridge Office To Discuss Child Custody And Visitation Issues

To talk to our Arvada child custody attorneys, call 720-259-9528 for a free initial phone consultation.