Comprehensive & Compassionate Legal Representation

Experienced lawyers providing services in many types of cases that can affect Colorado families.

Jefferson County Child Custody Attorney | Kids, Vacations, and Parenting Time – Can I Take My Children Out of State for Vacation?

On Behalf of | Jan 2, 2018 | Child Custody |


A New Year is upon us and usually, that means planning ahead for the rest of the year. Some of those plans may include family vacations. If you are getting divorced or have a current parental responsibilities plan, you may be wondering how vacations work. Generally, there is not an issue if you choose to vacation within the State of Colorado, however, if an out of state vacation is on your radar, that can be a different story.

Wheat Ridge Divorce and Child Custody Lawyer: Planning Vacation Procedures During a Divorce

If you are currently preparing to divorce or in the midst of the divorce proceedings, you may want to discuss vacation procedures as part of your parenting plan. For example, you can write into the agreement that one parent must get permission from the other to take the children out of the state. Or, you can agree to take the children anywhere as long as it does not affect the other parent’s parenting time. If it is going to affect the other parent’s time, then permission must be received. It’s vital for you to get any agreements in writing, so you have record of the agreement. This will protect you, should you choose to take your kids on vacation.

Following a Jefferson County Parenting Plan: Requesting the Court’s Permission

If you have a parenting plan already in place as part of your Jefferson County child custody agreement that does not specifically address vacations, it’s best to be cautious before taking your children anywhere. It would be in your best interest to get permission in writing before taking your children. If your ex-spouse refuses to give permission, you can address the issue with the court. However, if you have a history of non-compliance with the court’s orders, the judge may choose to side with the other parent.

If you have questions regarding parenting plans and vacations, contact the best family law attorneys from the Pearman Law Firm at 720-259-9528 for a initial phone consultation.

Image Source: Pixabay-laterjay