Comprehensive & Compassionate Legal Representation

Experienced lawyers providing services in many types of cases that can affect Colorado families.

Wheat Ridge Child Support Attorney | A Change in Income Can Modify Child Support

On Behalf of | Mar 20, 2018 | child support |


Recently, pop singer Britney Spears and her ex-husband Kevin Federline have been going back and forth over child support renegotiations. Apparently, Kevin Federline, who has legal and physical custody of their two kids, has requested yearly income documentation and tax returns to evaluate if there is a need for a child support modification. Basically, it seems that dad knows mom is making more money, so he feels his kids should get a part of that. In Wheat Ridge and Jefferson County, it is not uncommon for one party to request a child support modification. Let’s look at the process and how a modification could affect you.

Reasons for Child Support Modification in Arvada, Golden, and Littleton

A change in income is often a precursor to requesting a child support modification in Arvada, Golden and Littleton. Colorado uses a formula to determine how much child support should be paid. Income of both parties is taken into consideration along with expenses related to child rearing. If you are required to pay child support and your income changes, either because of a pay cut or a new job with a smaller income, you can request to re-evaluate the amount. On the other hand, if you get a significant raise or get a new job with a higher income, child support can be raised with a re-evaluation. Please note, in Colorado your child support is not solely dependent on income. If the amount is deemed appropriate for the percentage you should be paying for the cost of care for the child, then it might not be modified at all.

Jefferson County Child Support Modification Process

Much like in a Mountainview or Jefferson County divorce or child custody case, child support can be agreed upon outside of court or can be left up to the judge to make the decision. If the two parties can come to an agreement about a modification to the child support order, the agreement can be submitted to the court and the judge will sign off on a new order, as long as it seems fair and both parties agree. If parties are not in agreement, a modification to child support can be filed and the judge will hear arguments and make a ruling. Either way, you will want an experienced child support attorney to help guide you through the process and make sure the outcome is fair and legal.

If you are in need of a child support modification, call the best family law attorneys from the Pearman Law Firm at 720-259-9528 for a initial phone consultation.

Image Source: Pixabay-rawpixel