Comprehensive & Compassionate Legal Representation

Experienced lawyers providing services in many types of cases that can affect Colorado families.

I Have a Divorce Attorney, But Can I Get a Second Opinion? | Wheat Ridge Family Law Attorney Sean Pearman Weighs In

On Behalf of | Apr 13, 2018 | Divorce |


When it comes to comes to something as serious as your Wheat Ridge or Arvada divorce, you want to make sure that your attorney is doing everything possible to get you the best possible outcome. Your current and future assets as well as your relationship with your children is on the line. You may often have questions about the work that your attorney is doing, and that’s normal. The law is very complicated and if you are not well versed in it, it may seem like your lawyer is not doing things the way you were hoping. This is where getting a second opinion can be a very helpful tool for you – offering you some comfort and a better understanding of your case.

Am I Betraying My Family Law Attorney by Asking for a Second Opinion?

You may feel some discomfort in reaching out to another attorney for a second opinion, almost like you are betraying your current attorney. But, your divorce and child custody case is too important to let those feelings stop you. The process is relatively easy – you just need to call another Littleton or Golden divorce and family law attorney and tell them you are looking for a second opinion on your case. This will likely be a paid consultation, as you will be having the attorney review specific paperwork and offering a legal opinion. In fact, you will want to bring everything you have related to your case – even requesting a copy of your entire case file from your current attorney. It is well worth the money, no matter what the outcome is.

Possible Results and Next Steps of a Second Opinion on Your Jefferson County Divorce and Child Custody Case

If you are reassured that your current attorney is taking all the right steps and completing things properly, then you just paid for some peace of mind, which is priceless. If you are told that things are not going well and that some changes need to be made, then the money was well spent to get the right insight and possible next steps to get your case on track. You may just need to have a conversation with your current attorney about changing strategies, or you may need to consider hiring a different lawyer to take over.

If you are considering getting a second opinion on your divorce / child custody case, contact the best family law attorneys from the Pearman Law Firm at 720-259-9528 to get your second opinion scheduled and get the peace of mind you need.

Image Source: Pixabay-geralt