Comprehensive & Compassionate Legal Representation

Experienced lawyers providing services in many types of cases that can affect Colorado families.

Child Custody Attorney in Wheat Ridge | Can I Be Prevented from Seeing My Children?

On Behalf of | Nov 20, 2018 | Child Custody |


Sometimes during a nasty Wheat Ridge divorce or child custody case, one parent may threaten to keep the children from the other. We often get calls from panicked parents wondering if this is true: if they can be prevented from seeing their kids. The truth is, there are certain circumstances where a judge may grant one parent sole custody, but the court does not prefer to travel that route. Let’s look at the different situations and options you have regarding child custody.

False Allegations for Child Custody in Arvada: What If I Am Falsely Accused?

Unfortunately, it’s not uncommon for one parent to make false allegations against the other to get control of the children. Accusations like sexual assault, violence, or substance abuse are generally the types of things that would give the court pause, as the best interest of the children is the number one priority. If the judge thinks the children could be in danger, they will often air on the side of caution. This might not mean a complete removal of the children from the parent’s life. It may mean that visits will have to be monitored by a third party or held at a visitation center to make sure the children are safe. If false accusations are made, it’s VERY important that you have an experienced Arvada child custody attorney to defend you against these claims and fight for your right to your children.

Allocation of Parental Responsibilities in Jefferson County: Who Gets to Make the Decisions Regarding the Kids?

During a divorce or child custody case, a judge will determine who has the responsibility of making the decisions regarding the day-to-day and long-term decisions with the kids. In joint custody cases, these decisions are often divided up between parents or even shared, where both parents must agree. If your ex is asking for no shared time or minimal time at best due to the safety of the children, it’s likely the judge will give all the parental responsibilities to the other parent. Again, you will need an expert family law attorney to preserve your parental rights.

If you are dealing with child custody issues, contact the best family law and child custody attorneys from the Pearman Law Firm at 720-259-9528 for a initial phone consultation. Make sure your relationship with your children is protected.

Photo by Jelleke Vanooteghem on Unsplash