Comprehensive & Compassionate Legal Representation

Experienced lawyers providing services in many types of cases that can affect Colorado families.

Wheat Ridge Parenting Time and Child Custody Attorney | Tips for Getting Out-of-State Parenting Time

On Behalf of | Dec 18, 2018 | Child Custody |

Thumbnail image for rhone-702757-unsplash.jpg

Whether you have a parenting agreement in place or simply have an out-of-court agreement about how to share parenting time, when the non-custodial parent moves out of state it inevitably means there will be changes to the parenting time agreement. If there is no official agreement in place, then the child’s other parent gets to make all the decisions about the frequency and type of contact you will get to have. If there is a parental responsibilities agreement done through the Jefferson County Court, the agreement may not be feasible with the new living situations, and therefore, not enforceable. This can cause a lot of stress, especially if you have a difficult relationship with your children’s other parent, as phone calls may go unanswered and simple communication attempts may be ignored.

Things You Can Do to Get Parenting Time When You Reside Out of State: Tips from Arvada Family Law Attorney

So, how can you best address your move to another state to make sure you have parenting time and communication with your children? Here are some tips and steps you can take to protect your relationship with your child:

· Exercise your right to have time with your kids: You are entitled to time with your kids. Unless there is some serious reason (i.e. criminal history of child abuse or serious assault) for a judge to rule that spending time with your children is not in their best interest, the courts support a child having time with both parents. You may have to take the issue to the Jefferson County Court in order to get an order signed by the judge enforcing your right to have time with your kids. This would keep your ex from preventing you from communicating with your kids.

· Expect that you will have to travel: Get a credit card with travel rewards because it is likely that you will have to do some traveling to facilitate visitation. Your children may be too young to come see you themselves, meaning you may have to drive or fly to get them, bring them to your home, and then fly them back. Maybe that amount of travel is not feasible, so you just travel to them to have your parenting time. Either way, it’s important that you have the expectation that you will have to do some traveling.

If you want to get a court order confirming your parenting time after a move, or modifying a current order to address the change in living situations, contact the best child custody attorneys from the Pearman Law Firm at [nap_phone id=”LOCAL-CT-NUMBER-1″.

Photo by Rhone on Unsplash