Yes, Pearman Law Firm is open! We have a full staff working remotely (and at the office as necessary) to ensure your legal needs are well taken care of during these difficult times. We offer telephone consultations and virtual meetings, and can provide for all your legal representation remotely when necessary and possible. We are doing Last Wills and Estate Planning as well.
If you need legal help, do not hesitate to call us at 303-991-7600 or contact us using our online contact form.

Golden Child Custody Attorney | Re-Establishing Your Parenting Time After a Long Time Away

On Behalf of | Jan 8, 2019 | Child Custody |


It’s no secret that it is beneficial for children to have both parents in their lives. This is why the Jefferson County Court prefers to share parental responsibilities and parenting time in Child Custody cases – because it is generally in the best interest of the child. Unfortunately, there are situations where one parent is absent from their child’s life for a significant amount of time. Sometimes, it’s because of bad choices (i.e. criminal behavior, drug use, etc.) and sometimes it’s because of parental alienation and bad mouthing that made you back off from spending time with your kids. Regardless of the reasons why, it is possible to connect with your kids again and re-establish your child custody agreement and parenting time.

Tips for Re-Establishing Your Relationship with Your Kids after an Extended Absence in Wheat Ridge and Arvada

  • Child Custody Agreement – If, through a Wheat Ridge divorce or simply a child custody hearing, a judge signed off on an agreement regarding how much parenting time you are to have, pull out that agreement (or get a copy from the court) and re-acquaint yourself with the terms. You don’t want to demand things that you don’t actually have the right to. If you do not have a child custody agreement in place, hire an experienced family law attorney to help you exercise your rights to have time with your kids.
  • Be Prepared for Resistance – It’s not uncommon for the parent who has had all the parenting time while you have been out of the children’s lives to push back when they find out you want to see the kids again. Don’t lose hope! There are many things that can be done to push back against that resistance – including taking the issue in front of a judge if necessary.
  • Ease Into It – While we totally understand the excitement surrounding seeing your children, it’s important to recognize that this may be an adjustment for them. Be willing to ease into it. This will not only reassure the kids, but will also show the court and anyone else involved that you are serious about spending time with your kids. This might mean starting with some short visits and phone calls or Facetime / Skype to reintroduce the relationship.
  • Counseling – Take initiative and schedule some reunification counseling. This will allow for the best outcome when it comes to re-establishing your relationship with your kiddos.

If you need an expert Child Custody attorney, contact the Pearman Law Firm at 720-259-9528 or toll free at 888-835-6339 for a free initial phone consultation.

Photo by Tim Mossholder on Unsplash

FindLaw Network