Phone: 720-259-9528
Toll Free: 888-835-6339

October 2017 Archives

Wheat Ridge Child Custody Lawyer | As a Custodial Parent, Can I Move My Children Out of State?

truck-2677373_640.jpgMoving a child out of state, known as child relocation or child custody modifications in Wheat Ridge and Jefferson County can be a complicated matter. As a custodial parent, you may have majority decision making and parenting time, but that does not mean you can just leave the state with your children. You must formally ask the court and give the children's other parent a chance to agree or object. Unless relocating the children out of state was addressed under the initial parenting plan, a modification of the parenting plan would be necessary and must be signed off on by a Jefferson County family law judge.

Wheat Ridge Parenting Plan Modification Attorney | Can I Modify a Parenting Plan without Jefferson County Court Approval?

pexels-photo-357514.jpegIn Wheat Ridge and across Jefferson County a parenting plan can be modified at any time. Colorado law understands that your children change as they grow and their needs change as well. What might have worked when your children were young, may not work so well as they become adolescents and teenagers. You and your co-parent may be able to easily agree to a change, but it will have to be signed off on by the Jefferson County family court judge in order to be official. All decisions made regarding children must be deemed to be in their best interest and a judge wants to verify this before entering any modifications.

Wheat Ridge Child Support Attorney | What is Retroactive Child Support in Jefferson County?

dollar-15283_640.jpgWhile not very common, there are circumstances in Wheat Ridge, Arvada and across Jefferson County where a judge may order retroactive child support after it is specifically requested. Retroactive child support means a parent will be required to pay child support to cover a time when no child support order existed. The purpose is to either pay unpaid past child support or to pay the support payments that were needed before the court entered a child support order. One party must file a request for retroactive child support in order for the judge to consider ordering the other party to pay.

Wheat Ridge Divorce Attorney | Avoiding Future Issues with Your Dissolution of Marriage in Jefferson County

courtroom-898931_640.jpgHiring a Wheat Ridge or Jefferson County divorce attorney to handle your Colorado dissolution of marriage is not a requirement of the law, but common sense. Those who choose to handle their divorce themselves end up spending more money and time trying to resolve issues later down the line. An experienced Wheat Ridge and Arvada divorce lawyer can walk you through the process, making sure that the separation or dissolution agreement is solid and that issues won't come up in the future. The last thing you want is to move on with your life, and have to keep revisiting the past due to faulty or questionable terms in your divorce agreement.

Wheat Ridge Child Custody Attorney | Supervised Parenting Time in Jefferson County

pexels-photo-235554.jpegWhether you are preparing to ask a Jefferson County judge to only allow your children to have supervised visits with their non-custodial parent or you want to fight allegations that you should only have supervised parenting time with your child, you need an experienced Wheat Ridge child custody attorney on your side. Supervised visitation means that the parent and child can only spend time together in a supervised environment. As with all child custody decisions, it is about the best interest of the child. If courts feel there is any risk of emotional or physical injury to the child, then they will err on the cautious side and require supervision during contact time with the child.

Wheat Ridge Divorce Lawyer | Will Getting Remarried Affect My Alimony and Child Support Payments?

ring-260892_640.jpgIt is common knowledge that when a couple divorces in Wheat Ridge, Arvada, or Mountain View, one spouse may have to make payments to the other in the form of spousal maintenance payments (alimony) or child support. When one party decided to get remarried, there are often questions regarding how a new marriage will impact these mandatory payments. Let's take a look at how remarriage can affect child support and alimony payments for both the paying spouse and the supported one.

Wheat Ridge Child Custody and Parenting Decisions Attorney | Medical Decisions, Parenting Time, and Contempt of Court in Jefferson County

vaccination-2722937_640.jpgMaking decisions about your children's health, schooling, and overall care can be difficult when parents are separated or divorced and at odds with each other in Wheat Ridge, Golden, and Arvada. Normally, these would be decisions you would discuss with your partner and come to a mutual decision together. However, when parents are no longer partners, discussions and decision making can sometimes be tricky. I recently read an article about a mother who was found in contempt of court and put in jail as a punitive measure for not following a court order. The father of the children had wanted his kids to get vaccinated and the mother did not. The two could not agree, so they took the issue to the family law courts to have a judge make a ruling. When the judge ruled in favor of the father and for the vaccinations, the mother was given a certain time frame in which she was required to comply. She did not, and was sent to jail.

Wheat Ridge Divorce & Separation Lawyer | What is Discovery in a Jefferson County Divorce?

pexels-photo-209137.jpegDuring a Wheat Ridge, Arvada, or Golden divorce, you may hear the term 'discovery.' Discovery is the collection of information and documents related to a case in the Colorado Court system. Whether a criminal case, a child custody case, or a dissolution of marriage - discovery can be requested. Often, when it comes to a Jefferson County divorce, discovery is requested when one party believes that more information is needed from the other side.

Practice Areas

Pearman Law Firm, P.C.

Pearman Law Firm, P.C.
4195 Wadsworth Boulevard
Wheat Ridge, CO 80033

Toll Free: 888-835-6339
Phone: 720-259-9528
Fax: 303-991-7601
Map & Directions

Free Initial Phone Consultations

CTA phone
Phone: 720-259-9528
Toll Free: 888-835-6339